We have rain in the forecast for the next couple of days, so I took advantage of the beautiful morning weather and went for a run instead of going to the gym as originally planned.
Not bad lighting for 5:15am!
After 45 minutes of fresh & beautiful air (the lilacs are in bloom everywhere), I had a 10 minute stretch.
|Someone wouldn’t get off the mat!|
Then some breakfast!
I got wild and changed up my Protein Oats this morning. The normal berries/apple/banana turned into KIWI! It was delicious! I also used Apple Pie Spice, which is my new favourite substitute for cinnamon; it’s amazing! I got it at the Calgary Farmer’s Market at The Silk Road Spice Merchant. I bought it straight up, but its contents include: Vietnamese cinnamon, Sri Lankan cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, cloves. Such a nice change from the ol’ regular.
Last Night’s Culinary Shenanigans:
After last week’s exam snack that we fed to our grade 6 students, there were several bananas left over. Naturally, I packed them up and brought them home with the intention of baking something exciting! Don’t get me wrong…I love some good, old fashioned banana bread. This love also applies to banana muffins. However, it’s something that I try not to eat too often, especially due to the enormous amounts of sugar that go into a typical recipe. I find that whenever I DO eat some baked goods that include the white stuff, I feel super thirsty and lethargic afterwards. Which of course I am totally okay with from time to time, on a weekend or as an infrequent treat. However, if I’m going to bake something that I’ll be consuming more than once, or as a weekday snack, I just can’t do it.
So, what’s a girl to do with all these bananas?!
Take my best shot at sugar-free banana muffins! Adam went to bed, and things got crazy around here. Anything can happen at 10pm in my kitchen, including this completely random concoction with any/all ingredients I could get my paws on…
Banana Nut Muffins
My Healthier Take
Makes 24 standard muffins
- 6 medium-large bananas (ripe)
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 scoop chocolate vegan protein powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp all natural peanut butter
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (I had to add some pecans to make 3/4)
Pre-heat overn to 325ºF.
– Mix butter, honey, eggs, and peanut butter in a bowl until butter is no longer in chunks.
– Mash bananas.
– Combine the banana mash with the first mixture.
– Mix in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and protein powder.
– Time for the whole wheat flour! Fold in and combine. You’ll find that it’s pretty thick, but that’s okay!
– Lastly, stir in nuts.
– Spoon into paper liners. Fill about 3/4 of the way.
|If your liners are cute and fun, your muffins will taste even better… I swear!|
– Bake for 25 minutes at 325º.
– Then enjoy, guilt free! I was a little nervous in anticipation of the outcome, due to the fact that the recipe was super random, but it definitely worked out. They taste great and are a healthy alternative. My recipe made 24 large muffins, so I froze one dozen for later consumption!