Ugh. I’ve been down and out with a head cold over the past few days. Adam picked up some sort of bug at the office last week and of course I failed to dodge the sickness bullet. There are many sinus medications and such that I cannot take while pregnant, so it’s been a slow recuperation!
Despite the fact that it’s pushing 30ºC this week, I needed some good ‘ol comfort food. I went with the classic staple.
Chicken Noodle Soup
I’ve been staying away from packaged soups at the grocery store for awhile now. Between the high sodium levels and skepticism over eating meat and veggies that have been sitting in a can for god knows how long, I just am turned off. I bought a slow cooker a couple of weeks ago that is obviously still packed in its original box, as I don’t even know where to begin with it. That will be next week’s endeavour. For now, I stuck with the simplest 20 minute soup ever created.
* makes approximately 4 servings
- Low-Sodium (organic if possible) Chicken Broth- 4.5-5 cups
- Medium Yellow Onion- 1, chopped
- X-Large Carrot- 1, chopped
- Stalks Celery- 2, chopped
- Black Pepper- to taste
- Oregano- 1 tsp
- Basil- 1 tsp
- Roasted Chicken- 2.5 cups, chopped (I just used some of an organic roasted chicken from the grocery store- let’s be serious…when you’re feeling under the weather, go as simple as possible)
- Egg Noodles- 2 cups, broken up (if not already)
1. In a large pot, combine chicken broth, vegetables, herbs/pepper. Bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, bring it to a simmer and cover for a few minutes.
2. Add the egg noodles and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
I had leftovers today for lunch, along with a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich (I grilled the tomatoes first).
The gym has not been my friend over the last few days. Nothing worse than not being able to breath on a cardio machine. I also hate when people are coughing and sneezing all over the place, so I didn’t want to be that person. I went for a brisk walk today for 45 minutes, and the fresh air helped
My other friends this week:
|100% Apple and Orange Juice|
|I’ll likely go through the entire box, single-handedly.|
Normally I’d have green tea and honey, but I’ve been sipping my “pregnancy tea” instead. I tried honey with it, but it tasted a little off…
|Salt + Hot Water + Gargle = A Grateful Throat|
I think I am on the mend. Naturally = Slower than medication, but it’s okay
Last on today’s blog agenda, but definitely not least, a shout out to miss Alison. She’s one of my sweetest, dearest, best friends, and today’s her birthday!!! Miss ya, girlfriend. Happy 28th!