It’s been a snack-fest kind of day. Actually, I haven’t even eaten a real “meal” yet, but I’ve been full all day long thanks to an array of Friday snack time fun. Here’s a little look at a few of today’s consumed items.
Breakfast Quinoa– Actually…this could be eaten at any time of day. I usually make quinoa with dinner or in a salad, so this was a nice change. It’s also a nice diversion from hot oatmeal (my breakfast staple). Lots more protein, too!
I’ve included the recipe at the bottom of this post
Kiwis– slice, scoop, easy.
Veggie Chips– Beets, Parsnips, Carrots, Sweet Potatos. Listen, there’s no dodging chip-o’clock on a Friday.
Apple Slices w/ Natural Peanut Butter– sprinkled with psyllium, chia seeds, and a few chocolate chips for good measure. Favourite new snack this week. Yum!
Cucumber Toast– sliced english cucumber on whole grain toast, plain cream cheese, ground pepper to taste.
I also had a whey protein smoothie which was delish and downed before I even thought to take a photo. To be honest, I actually find eating something small every 3 hours or so to leave me fuller and with more energy to last throughout the day!
Well, I’m off to begin my Friday night. Dinner of some sort and then do something wild and crazy to ring in the weekend. And by wild and crazy, I probably mean renting a movie and eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream 😉
Makes 2 servings
- Quinoa (rinsed, drained, uncooked)- 1/2 cup
- Milk (of choice)- 1 cup
- Cinnamon- 1 tsp
- Brown Sugar- 1 tsp
- Vanilla Extract- 1/2 tsp
- Chia Seeds- 2 tsp
- Natural Peanut Butter- 2 tbsp
- Raisins- 3 tbsp
1. Bring milk and quinoa to a boil. Reduce immediately to a simmer. Make sure to keep a close eye on stovetop and stir frequently (throughout the entire time on stove).
2. Add cinnamon and vanilla.
3. When quinoa mixture has become thick and all milk has been absorbed (takes 10-15 minutes), add brown sugar. Stir and remove from heat.
4. Mix in chia seeds, peanut butter, and raisins. (I only used 1/2 of these 3 ingredient amounts and stirred directly into my bowl. I saved the other half of the quinoa in the fridge for tomorrow)
5. Separate mixture into two bowls, and enjoy! It doesn’t look like a lot, but it’s super filling!