It’s that time of year again- Super Bowl Weekend! If we were in Canada right now, I know we’d have something planned for watching on Sunday with friends and family (having four brother-in-laws makes this somewhat inevitable). However, the game won’t take place until sometime on Monday here in Australia and I will likely miss most of it. Although I love watching most professional sports, I’ve never been much of a Super Bowl fanatic unless it involves Tom Brady and a good half-time show. Plus, in Canada we don’t get the same commercials that are always highly anticipated in the States. Nevertheless, it’s a great excuse for a Sunday-Funday, no matter if you like football or not!
Besides the event itself, Super Bowl Weekend is renown for parties and good eating. Aaaand usually this eating isn’t very healthy. I’ll admit, it’s not easy turning down a greasy, delicious appy. Buffalo wings, potato skins, nachos, chips & dip, pizza…the list goes on. However, you can still partake in the deliciousness without feeling guilty (or totally sick to your stomach) afterwards.
I’ve compiled a list of 5 Healthier Super Bowl Snacks (or ‘anytime snacks’ for that matter) that are great substitutes for their not-so-great-for-your-midsection alternatives. Click the respective “source” links for the recipes!
Health-ified Super Bowl Snacks
Warm Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Spiced Roasted Almonds
Baked Onion Rings
Speaking of cleaned up snacking, Adam and I finally fed our closeted nacho addiction this weekend. Nachos are NOT the same in Australia as they are in North America, so we’ve gone a long time without biting into one.
I grabbed some ingredients for an at-home nacho creation: no chips required!
Cleaned Up Nachos
- Whole grain/wheat wraps: 4-5, small/medium sized
- Roasted chicken (organic if possible): 2 cups, pre-cooked, shredded
- Avocado: 1 large, chopped (if chopped in advance, sprinkle with salt and lime juice to prevent browning)
- Cherry Tomatos: 2 cups, halved
- Yellow Pepper: 1 large, sliced
- Yellow Onion: 1/2, sliced
- Low Fat Cheddar & Low Fat Mozzarella: shredded, 1 1/2 -2 cups mixed together
- Garlic: 1 clove, minced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 2 tbsp
- Cumin: To Taste
- Salsa and Light Sour Cream: Optional
1. With a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut wraps into triangle wedges.
2. Spread triangles over a large pan. Sprinkle with olive oil and cumin.
3. Broil wedges in oven at a low heat until browed and fairly crispy.
4. Meanwhile, sauté onions and garlic until browned.
5. When wedges are done, top them with a small layer of mixed cheese. Follow this by all the chicken, veggies, onion/garlic, and more cheese on top.
6. Broil again until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
7. Remove from oven and top with avocado.
8. Eat ‘as is’ or with salsa and light sour cream of choice.
Someone else agrees that they are a delicious alternative to the typical restaurant-nacho grease fest!
Happy Super Bowl and even Happier Eating!