Well, here I am on a Friday night. Bubs is tucked in for the evening (well…placed in his crib without blankets to be exact), and I am a glass of wine deep. No better time to finally attend to the blog which has seemingly been neglected over the past week, right? Usually I have some sort of intention when approaching a blog post, but not tonight. Free for all, comin’ atcha. Enjoy.
1. This post should technically be called, “Over Tea”. I was super sick on Wednesday, to the point that Adam actually came home from work mid-day to help out with Thomas. I’m going to call it the 24-hour flu, as I felt absolutely fine the next morning, but it definitely stopped me in my tracks and was completely debilitating! I’m not really sure what is going on, but that is the third time in two months that I’ve been ill like this (and this), which is really uncommon for me. Anyway, green tea has been my go-to drink this week, despite the warm weather here in Brisbane. My stomach is much happier now!
2. After hours of deliberation, I bought an artificial Christmas tree. Not that there is anything wrong with a fake tree, but Adam and I had a Canadian tradition of heading out into the snowy forest, paying a tree permit, and chopping down a Western pine of our choosing. Our trees always touched the ceiling and smelled glorious. One year, we even had a tree with about 25 giant pinecones on it. Legitimate Northern Christmas. Scouting out a tree is one of my favourite holiday activities, so it’s a little sad not being able to live out the tradition here in Australia. However, I couldn’t NOT decorate a little bit for the holidays. I have a ton of Christmas lights and decorations, but they are all packed away back in storage in Canada, so I picked up a few things this week to decorate our litte 5′ tree. Although it feels kind of weird trimming the tree with the air conditioning blasting, it does the trick and makes things feel a bit more festive around here for Thomas’s first Christmas. Bing Crosby helps, too. Someone bring me some coffee and Bailey’s, and we’ll be all set.
3. Speaking of Christmas, I know many of my Canadian friends have already seen this holiday outreach by WestJet, one of Canada’s airlines. I’ve always been a big supporter of WestJet, and typically choose them when given the option. They are always so professional, yet extremely friendly, accommodating, and spirited. Although I must admit that it’s the best marketing tactic of the year, it is also such an amazing way of giving back to their customers. I literally cried of happiness watching this, and just love seeing the joy in the faces of these people (plus, it’s extra touching that I’ve been in that Calgary airport AND shopping mall many times). So good.
4. Okay, and while we are on the topic of Christmas and giving things away…does anyone else miss Oprah’s Favorite Things? It was always my fave show of the year. Apparently she still has her “Favorite Things” list, but it’s just not the same.
5. I’ve had three days off the gym/workouts due to 1) being sick and 2) Thomas napping through our usual classes. I don’t know what I am going to do, as his napping schedule has completely changed over the past couple of weeks. He is also going through a major attachment issue/phase right now and screams every time I leave him in the gym daycare. They usually end up tracking me down in the gym to come collect him, so I’m quite hesitant to take him lately. It’s a tough one. I’m hoping that with a bunch of visitors over the holidays, it’ll help him to loosen the reigns a little bit and become more independent and trusting of other adults. I’m just going to try to hang in there with my workouts over the next couple of weeks, and then reevaluate a set schedule once the new year hits.
6. Despite a very high-strung week, Thomas sucked it up for his very first encounter with Santa with our friends Paige & Brooklyn (Brooklyn and Thomas are two days apart). Brooklyn HATED Santa, and Thomas wasn’t entirely sure what to think at first either, so Monkey and I joined the party. When you think about it, it’s so strange and unusual how we do this to our children, however I couldn’t let his first Christmas pass without taking this photo-op.
7. Let’s switch subjects and talk about food. We’ve been super boring this week. Lots of salads and bbq’d fish and chicken, so I don’t have anything too exciting to offer. However, a new health food bar opened up in the neighbourhood and with the heat and humidity, I decided to go for a happy medium between afternoon snack and coffee one day this week. This Mocha Smoothie was to die for! Medjool dates, banana, cacao powder, espresso and cinnamon blended with almond milk. Yessir. Love the idea of dates for natural sweetness.
8. Did you know that there are 5 servings in one medium sized avocado? Okay, seriously? Can you imagine only eating 1/5 of an avocado? Hah! Pretty sure Thomas and I split one several times a week. I don’t know. As much as I am interested in knowing approximate serving sizes so that I don’t go buck wild, I’m not overly concerned with “overeating” on natural, whole, unprocessed foods. Anyone else feel me on this one?
9. I recently came across this photo, and it only reinforces anything I’ve ever said about body weight not necessarily being the best measure of body composition and overall health. These women ALL weigh the exact same (the Australian average of 70kg, or 155lbs). It’s just another brilliant example of how women’s bodies come in many different shapes and sizes, and that the number on a scale doesn’t define us.
10. And while we are on the weight topic, I’ll leave you with this, which I saw on Pinterest and thought was noteworthy. (Although, I must admit I’m having a slight urge for a more serious, weight/body-image post, but I’ll stew on this topic for a bit until I’m entirely sure what I want to say).
Thanks for being a great
wine coffee date this evening! I’m on glass #2 (which was kind of like a double, so technically #3), and I should probably go to sleep as I have an 8:15am Body Attack class to attend! I’ll be back over the weekend with a fitness fashion post regarding a recent sample I received from an awesome Australia company/online journal, fivemore. I’m really looking forward to sharing my review with you. Happy weekend, everyone!