Body Attack Inspired At-Home Workout

I can hardly believe it, but I’m on track for making it to the gym 6 times this week. I know it’s only Thursday night, but Friday & Saturday I have to teach a class, so it’s pretty much set in stone. And yes…I totally count teaching Body Attack as my daily workout. As an instructor, you really have to challenge yourself through every move. I’m always exhausted by the time a class is over, and feel like I had an amazing workout along with the participants.

image-32

Les Mills Body Attack is kind of in a league of its own when it comes to group fitness. If you’ve never tried it before, it can be a little intimidating and awkward at first, as some of the movements are a little fun and dancey. However, those of you who have done BA for years have probably noticed the growth and transition the program has made. It’s really blossomed into a sports-inspired, high performance class due to the big powerful plyometric peaks that really push your heart rate. Sure, there is some clapping, fist pumping, and cha-cha’ing every now and again, but once you develop a good feel for some of the anaerobic exercises, it becomes a serious workout!

Did you know…in one Body Attack class, people burn on average 600-900 calories? That’s big! I know for me, I work a lot harder and feel it much more than if I was to simply jump on a treadmill for 45 minutes.

Although I was able to get in plenty of workouts this week, this isn’t always the case. For me, the biggest challenge is Thomas. Most days are great, but there are some that simply do not allow me to get to the gym during the allotted child care hours. Those days are frustrating for me, as fitness is my outlet. If I’ve planned a workout, I hate missing it. Why? Well, my fitness level or body isn’t going to change with one missed workout. However, I’m always in a better mood, more productive throughout the day, and sleep better at night. Those 3 things alone are critical to my overall happiness.

The problem is, I rarely create a “Plan B”: what I’m going to do if for some reason, “Plan A” falls through. And when I don’t make a Plan B, I usually just don’t workout at all. As much as I’d love to be an “at-home workout-er”, I really struggle with it. Kind of like how some people just can’t work or study at home. I reeeeally struggle getting into the fitness zone in my living room.

With all the Body Attack’ing I’ve been doing lately, I thought I would make a little at-home workout to motivate me on the days that I simply can’t get to the gym when I’d intended to, and need something to make me sweat. All of the exercises are used in almost every Body Attack class (*although they are not trademark BA moves, hence why I’ve selected them purposely).

body attack workout

Instructions

1. Put on some upbeat music!
  2. Begin at any star of your choice and work your way around clockwise.
  3. Complete each exercise 10 times (*10x per side for repeater knees, jumping lunges, foot stomps, and oblique twists).
  4. After 1 full cycle, complete a 30 second high knee run as hard as you can go.
  5. Complete 3 full cycles, including 3x 30 second high knees.

Video Links to Exercises

In reality, you really can’t beat participating in a group fitness class, like Body Attack. It’s so positive and inspiring to be surrounded by a sea of people doing the same movements. Plus, it’s an amazing way to change up your workout routine. The minute I hear the music begin, I get such a rush of adrenaline! However, as we all know, sometimes the gym isn’t feasible, so having a backup plan is a great option. Especially one that better prepares you for your next fitness class and involves zero pieces of equipment.

Speaking of which, I need to go run through my tracks for tomorrow morning and then get some sleep. Alarm is set for 4:30am. Tough getting up, but not a bad way to start a Friday with my workout completed by 6:30am :)

Have you tried Body Attack?

What’s your favourite group fitness class?

18 Thoughts on “Body Attack Inspired At-Home Workout

1. Body Attack is still on my list of classes to try, I am really liking Body pump!

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale on March 1, 2014 at 9:49 pm said:

They are both excellent, and really compliment each other. I do both (teach one and attend the other), and find they provide a really well-rounded workout routine :)

2. I’ve gotten my booty kicked by body attack classes before and they are NO JOKE haha. I don’t belong to a gym that has the classes anymore though so I’m glad I can try a similar workout at home!

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale on March 1, 2014 at 9:50 pm said:

Definitely give it a whirl!
      One of my main priorities in choosing a gym is that they have Les Mills classes! No matter how long you’ve been taking them, they always give you an amazing workout.

3. Body Attack is a workout I have yet to try. It sounds intense and challenging – my favorite kind of workout! ;-)

4. I miss body attack so much Kelly! There are no les mills offerings near where I’m living at the moment so I will definitely use this workout! So glad to hear you’re enjoying teaching, I wish I could take your class! Xo

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale on March 1, 2014 at 9:52 pm said:

Crazy there are no LM classes anywhere nearby!!! It seems like they are everywhere here in Australia. Canada, too!
      Nothing beats them.

5. This looks like so much fun!

I’ve never ever done a group fitness class at a gym – only aerobics style classes for sports days at school! I stick to at home workouts :P

6. I do Body Combat, Attack and Pump weekly, but Attack is still my favourite!

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale on March 1, 2014 at 9:55 pm said:

All are amazing classes! I know someone who teaches all 3, sometimes all in one day!! It’s ridiculous. After teaching Attack, I just want to go home and sleep for 2 hours! :)
      I agree…Attack has always been my favourite. It’s so uplifting and seriously kicks your butt every time.

• Shawn M on March 5, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

I can’t imagine doing all three in one day! I do Attack and Pump on Tuesday evenings and all I want to do is come home and drop into bed!

7. I just joined anytime fitness and they have nada fitness classes but this looks awesome for at home workouts when I don’t have access to the gym (Weekends!) cheers!

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale on March 1, 2014 at 9:56 pm said:

Hope your new gym has a squat rack… I know that was probably #1 on your “gym necessities” list! ;)

• Kelly @ Femme Fitale on March 1, 2014 at 9:57 pm said:

Is Anytime Fitness the 24/7 one without locker rooms? I’ve heard of this! Sounds like an interesting concept…more male members???

8. I LOVE group fitness classes! Pump and RPM are my favourites but I love Attack and Step too! Plus I also really love doing Cardio Tennis at my gym and I do a lot of Bikram yoga too. Haha what can I say, I seems like I really love being around sweaty people ;)

But the one thing I don’t like about it is that there are only certain times of the day you can do it. Love your plan B workout – I’ve bookmarked it and am going to do it next time I can’t make it to a class!

Sam xx

9. I LOVE THIS. I have run into the same problem so many times and find myself wishing I had an at-home option. This is perfect! Thanks for the great idea!